Wednesday 23 March 2011

A Week's Worth of Food

I can't believe it's been a week since I last posted! My daughter being off school has completely thrown off my routine! She is better now (temperature back to normal, tummy pain gone etc) but has developed a swollen neck on one side. I took her to the doctor on Monday and apparently it is torticollis...she also saw a physio on Monday who gave her a few exercises and said it should go away on its own, but in the meantime it is very sore! She did go back to school yesterday, but they phoned me about 2pm to pick her up as "her neck was swollen and she looked grey" !! So today she only went in for morning + lunch, and tomorrow she is staying home as the whole school is going on a trip to the zoo and, understandably, her teacher doesn't want to take her in case she droops part way through the day. Poor little girl, we'll have to do something fun tomorrow to make up for her missing the zoo trip! I'm also a bit worried as her 2 week ballet show (only happens every 2 years so quite a big deal) starts on Monday, with on-stage rehearsals on Friday and Saturday...I hope she's well enough to take part!

Anyway, enough of me spilling my thoughts onto the page...lets talk about food! Now that the weather has been warmer, I have been loving having yoghurt for breakfast. In fact I haven't had oats once in the last week, shock, no wonder I was craving porridge today...will have to fix that tomorrow morning I think! I have been enjoying Total 0% Greek yoghurt (I love how thick and creamy it is!) with strawberries and honey...


with fresh mango, desiccated coconut and agave nectar...


and with 2 chopped nectarines and honey...


All delicious... fresh fruit + yoghurt = the start of summer to me! :)

I've also enjoyed a couple of smoothies. Fresh mango and frozen tropical fruits smoothie topped with desiccated coconut...


and cocoa-banana-blueberry smoothie topped with lots of crunchy peanut butter...


Yum.

I've also had many snacks, most avoided the camera (a handful of nuts most times I enter the kitchen, a small pistachio ice cream shared with baby this afternoon, a couple of blender creations I will share in another post etc etc) plus lots of my new favourite snack - medjool dates filled with peanut butter...


so tasty and surprisingly filling!

I also opened my box of Booja Booja Ginger Wine truffles tonight...


whoops, so much for my aims for Lent...these had been sitting in my cupboard, patiently waiting until Easter, but then I happened to look at the back of them today, saw that they should've been stored in the fridge, panicked and decided I needed to eat them straight away to save throwing them away!!


these were all gone in about 20 minutes!! Nice, but as with the cognac banana truffles, these tasted more of alcohol than ginger.

I have also eaten many main meals. Lots of easy things like scrambled eggs on toast, but also some slightly more interesting food...

Sesame & almond smoked tofu, brown rice, peas and sweet chilli sauce - simple but tasty...


Mama Pea's quinoa stuffed peppers this has become one of our favourites...


Pasta frittata with orange pepper, broad beans and goat's cheese on top...


Pearl Barley Risotto - this time with smoked tofu added rather than ham hock...


Takeaway Indian when I was too tired to cook. This is the first time I'd had a takeaway since eating meat-free, I spent ages looking at the menu! In the end I decided on Gobi Bhaji (cauliflower, really nice), a side dish of Tarka Daal (lentils, a bit bland, I can make better!!!), Mushroom Fried Rice (tasty and a good way to bulk up the meal) plus some Naan Bread. Yellow but yummy...


Delicious roasted butternut squash with goat's cheese - I bought a pack of ready to roast wedges that were on offer for an easy lunch...


Roast Vegetable and Lentil Lasagne - I did have garlic this time, and topped it with a mix of mozzarella and cheddar - so yummy, seconds were eaten! :)


and finally tonight was a quick spinach & ricotta tortellini with tomato ketchup and grated cheddar - very easy and reminds me of my childhood - my Mum used to give us this a lot!


Phew, lots of food!! I'm hoping to find the energy to start blogging more regularly again so that all my photos don't build up! I've still been thinking of things I want to write about during the days, but by evening I've just been too tired to even open my laptop - I fell asleep at 8.30pm a couple of days ago, bizarre!! Hopefully tomorrow will be a fun, but relaxing, day...it's what my daughter needs, and so, it seems, do I!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...