Sunday 24 July 2011

Family Fun and Lots of Cake!

Yesterday was a good day. The morning was spent chilling at home and enjoying the sunshine. I made sure to have a proper breakfast - porridge cooked with a banana, topped with peanut flour sauce and strawberries...


There is porridge under there somewhere! My food scales need a new battery...I think I ended up using a bit too much milk!


Despite the filling breakfast, a mid-morning snack was also consumed whilst the children napped. (Note to self: daughter having a morning nap even if she doesn't seem tired is a great idea - stops the mid-afternoon grumpiness!!)


Shockingly (and sadly!) this was the last of the Chai Cheesecake Bites...yep, I ate the entire rest of the batch, by myself, yesterday! Ooops, but so tasty!! And a coffee from our new coffee machine. Love. I've started making a big pot each morning, drinking a mug or two hot, and then putting the rest in the fridge for iced coffee later in the day. Mmmm, caffeine!! :)

Once the children woke up, we headed to a local fete. We went last year too, but I have just spent ages looking for the photos with no joy, so instead of the planned comparison shots, this is just yesterday. Photos Liam took while I was queueing for lunch (at least they got to sit down!)...




And then the food finally arrived! (this was my 2nd trip - I'd already brought a pizza for the kids and a hot dog for Liam, but I ran out of hands!)...


The pizza was amazing. The dough was rolled out in front of me, topped and then cooked in an open wood fire oven. Yum.


Delicious, but not enough of it. I nabbed a slice of the children's pizza and then we moved onto the sweet stuff. The others had huge chocolate cookies...


and I had a delicious raspberry-almond slice...


followed by a very pretty, but overly sweet blackberry macaroon...


Why I needed 2 things when everyone else only had 1, I do not know. And that wasn't even the end of it as you'll see in a bit. I got sucked into the "so pretty, must try everything" mentality!!

After lunch, we then headed over to the play area. Daughter had fun with some of the 'circus toys'...


and on the bouncy castle...


whilst baby was quite happy munching on his cookie...


and sitting in wheelbarrows!


We bought some sweet treats before heading home. When I say we, I mean daughter and I...the girls are definitely the ones with the sweet tooth in our family! Daughter chose some fudge...


£2.37 for 4 pieces of fudge!! I made sure to slice it up to make it last longer!


Vanilla with malteser, rocky road, clotted cream and mango.

I, of course, went for cake. A gluten-free red velvet whoopie pie, and a peanut butter & salted fudge (!!) cupcake...


the whoopie pie was a bit disappointing - dry and lacking in flavour...


but the peanut butter cupcake was amazing!


I would've loved it even more if the sponge was peanut butter flavoured too instead of just vanilla, but the icing was divine! I wish Liam liked peanut butter so I could make these type of cakes, I'd end up eating the whole batch if I made them, which even for me would be a bit too much!!

Looking back, I can see I had 5 sweet treats yesterday. No wonder I am consistently gaining weight at the moment. Liam only had 2 - the chocolate cookie and a Double Chai Cupcake in the evening. In fact, I'm pretty sure I had a cupcake in the evening when he did too, so make that 6 things for me. Gah.

We'll end this post with delicious vegetables though. In the form of last night's dinner - the amazing Mama Pea's Courgette Quinoa Lasagne...


This was so delicious. Liam and I both went back for seconds. This photo does not do it justice.


Baby was too tired to eat with us last night, so he has his portion saved for today's lunch. Lucky thing. I started planning out the week's meals last night and asked Liam if he had any requests. His response? "Tonight's quinoa was good, anything with quinoa in" Success!! :)

I'm aware I've been a bit absent with regular blog posts this week. I had a couple of (non-cancerous) moles removed from my waist and my neck on Wednesday, and whilst the operations themselves weren't a big deal, it is near-impossible to keep those areas still enough for healing to occur, so they are still quite sore. By the time I normally write posts in the evening, my neck has had enough of supporting my head all day so I have just been spending my evenings lying still on my side on the sofa!! It felt quite a lot better yesterday though, so I will try to post again tonight with some of the many photos that have built up over the week - I hate having a huge back log of photos that I haven't posted, and I did manage some yummy meals this week that I want to share! :)

Have a great Sunday everyone!

5 comments:

  1. Looks like you had such a lovely time at the fete- I love days like that. And that fudge looks amazing- love the idea of maltesers in fudge- giving me ideas for this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A post with pizza, porridge, fudge and cakes? That's my girl :D

    The fudge especially made me drool a little..okay a lot x

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS I made those chai bites yesterday- thanks for the idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an absolutely amazing sounding day at the fete, I only ever manage to drag my butt to the school fete ... they need more things for the kids to do than just jumpy castles.
    Hope you scars heal soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you had a lot of fun and the weather was good for a change!
    The pizza and the fudge look so good :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...