Before Christmas, I was contacted to see if I’d be interested in trying some popchips in the New Year – a perfect healthier alternative to fried crisps after all the heavy seasonal food! Yes please! Sure enough, a couple of weeks ago a huge box arrived full of share bags of Popchips. They also sent me some information about healthy snack ideas…slightly out of date as we’ve somehow snuck into February already but here you go!
Azmina Govindji RD MBDA, Consultant Nutritionist & Registered Dietitian - Healthy Snacking Tips
1. Got the January blues? Then eat better! Regular meals and healthy snacks help you to stay energised and avoid binge eating.
2. A cup of hot soup or diet hot choc works wonders - great, filling comfort food!
3. When you’re on the go, make sure you have lower fat treats in the car or in your bag. Planning ahead can reduce those unhealthy impulse buys. Pack some popchips, a packet of nuts and raisins or some dried fruit the night before…
4. A colourful array of fruits and veggies gives you essential nutrients that help your energy levels and immune system.
5. Sometimes you’re not hungry but just need something to crunch. Keep a snack attack box in your fridge – e.g. carrot sticks, olives, cucumber sticks, cherry tomatoes, radishes, pickled onions.
Alternatively, try distracting yourself by doing something completely different like making a phone call or going for a walk – taking your mind off food will help to curb your craving.
I had plans to show you lots of photos of the Popchips I enjoyed, but in reality most of them were just eaten by the handful as I was passing an open bag in the kitchen…definitely still as snack-attack inducing as regular crisps!! I did enjoy some of the sweet chilli Popchips with mashed avocado though, these were possibly my favourite flavour and a great alternative to nachos:
I was also offered the opportunity to run a giveaway, so one of you can try Popchips for yourself.
One winner will be sent a box of 12 share bags – a mixture of flavours including original, barbeque, sour cream & onion, salt & pepper, sea salt & vinegar, and thai sweet chilli.
To enter the competition, leave a comment below sharing your favourite savoury snack. I usually gravitate towards sweet things so would like some new ideas! You can have extra entries by following me on Twitter, and tweeting about the giveaway including @PorridgeParsnip and @popchips in the tweet. Leave a separate comment for each entry so that I don’t miss any!
The giveaway will end at midnight on Sunday 10th February, and I’ll announce a winner the following day. Only open to UK residents, sorry to my international readers.
Good luck everyone!