Tuesday 29 November 2011

Two Things For Tuesday

I originally thought I'd write "ten things", but having just uploaded the camera, it seems I've only taken photos of two things today...so I'll go with that!

1. I made brownies today, lots and lots of brownies. The recipe I use is Averie's Fudgy Nutella Brownies, but I've made quite a few changes to make them my perfect brownies (not that the recipe isn't great as is, it was just a little too rich for us!). I don't use the Nutella or frosting, and I reduce the sugar to 375g and increase the flour to 150g. Perfect.


I normally cook them for 30 minutes at 175C, but the way my oven works there are only a few millimetres between each temperature setting. I think I must've cooked the first batch (on the left) at 180C by mistake, as they were a bit too crisp around the edges and cakier than usual. Still delicious, but the second batch - cooked at 175C - are my idea of fudgy perfection.

Sadly, with the exception of one brownie from each batch - shared with the children as "testers" - these brownies were not for us. After the success when I made them for her last time, my Grandma had asked me to make her another batch of brownies today. Then, when Mum was arranging when she would collect them, she asked if I could make her a batch too!


Bye-bye brownies!! These are so easy to make and taste fantastic! I was tempted to make a batch for us to have too, but as Izzy and I have plans to make muffins tomorrow I decided against it this time. Sad times! ;-)

2. Luckily I had a delicious dinner to take my mind off the "lost" brownies. Paneer and pea curry - or "squeaky cheese curry" as Izzy calls it - is one of our favourites around here. I've simplified the recipe each time I make it and now it hardly takes any time to cook. I just fry the cubed paneer for about 5 minutes before leaving to drain on kitchen roll. Then fry off about 2 tbsp curry paste, add a tin of tomatoes and simmer for a few minutes. Then add lots of frozen peas, simmer for another 5 minutes before finally adding the paneer back in and continuing to simmer the curry for another couple of minutes. Takes about the same time as the brown rice to cook and tastes great. Perhaps "cheating" by using the curry paste, but it makes my life easier and means I make the curry more often, which is a good thing in my book! :)


And that is pretty much all I've got today. I didn't get as much sleep as I would've liked last night and for some reason have only had one coffee...so I'm feeling even more tired than usual! As there's no school tomorrow, I suggested to Izzy that, Toby willing, we could try to have a lie-in in the morning. Her response was that she doesn't "do" lie-ins, but she's happy to lounge about in her PJs for a little bit in the morning. Sounds good to me!! :)

What would your two favourite things be today? And, important question, do you prefer fudgy or cakey brownies??! Fudgy all the way for me! I also prefer my cookies to be slightly undercooked so that they are chewy rather than crunchy. Izzy pointed out to me today that we "need" to make a trip to Ben's Cookies when we go to Bath this weekend - they sell amazing chewy cookies, can't wait!

3 comments:

  1. aaaah its probably a good thing the brownies didn't hang about. I know its the only way I can be trusted to bake is if the goodies are going elsewhere :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is true! I definitely struggle to have any willpower around baked goods!

    I'm planning/hoping to put most of the muffins that Izzy & I make tomorrow in the freezer, but we'll see how that works out! Freezing them only puts up a slight barrier though...giving them away works much better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fudgy brownies for me too- don't see the point of cakey ones- just have cake :)
    Enjoy your relaxing day tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...