So anyway, my tips... I'm not sure I'll get to 10 but we'll see how it goes!
1. Start the day right - a good breakfast is so important. I love it so much that I ate breakfast foods twice yesterday!
|Banana-Cinnamon Porridge with Justin's Maple Almond Butter|
|Berry-Banana Smoothie topped with Puffins & GF Muesli|
I always find that my eating in general goes so much better if I start the day right. If I skip breakfast or have an unhealthy breakfast I get hungry within an hour and end up spending the whole day snacking.
2. Drink enough water. An oldie but a goodie. I use an app on my iPhone to make sure I'm drinking enough water throughout the day (geek alert!!). I usually drink my water either plain or with a little blackcurrant squash in at home, and with ice & a slice of lemon when out. Sadly my beloved coffees don't count as the dehydrating effects of the coffee counteract the water used (well, so says my iPhone app anyway!!)
3. Eat lots of fruit & veggies. One of the things I love about summer is all the gorgeous fruit that is in season - strawberries, raspberries, cherries...mmmm!
I also love experimenting with new-to-me vegetables with the help of inspiration from other blogs - I tried my first every kabocha squash the other week, and of course green smoothies containing spinach have become a staple for me.
4. Experiment with different exercises to find some you love. As you probably realise if you're a regular reader of my blog, I'm not that good at exercising regularly. I have however recently discovered a love of circuits, which at least guarantees me exercising once a week! I also love swimming and enjoy doing weights...I just need to motivate myself to do these things more often!!
5. Smile often. I'm lucky that my children constantly make me smile (we'll forget about the stressful 'getting ready for school' mornings and focus on the good times!) - I could watch them all day - it is so cute to see them discovering new things!
|Daughter being a rabbit when we made carrot cake smoothies!|
|Baby with a smoothie moustache...we like smoothies in this house!|
6. Don't deny yourself treats, but make them healthier if possible. I usually find that if I try to deny myself I end up craving things more and go on a 'eating everything in sight' spree! I love making healthy treats that I can enjoy without guilt, such as Katie's chocolate chip blondies ...
So good! I've discovered that if I eat too much sugary processed food, I generally feel sluggish and bleugh. Treats like the blondies, and blended desserts such as Jemma's Choco PB Banana Pudding, are a good compromise!
7. Get enough sleep. I haven't been managing this and it makes life so much harder. When I know I'm lacking in sleep I tend to over-compensate with extra coffees, but yesterday I made a conscious effort to not have any coffees all day and I actually felt a bit better for it. But still, get more sleep!
8. Spend as much time outside as possible. I love being out in the fresh air. Unless it's pouring with rain (and sometimes even then if I have school-runs to do!) I make sure to take baby/the children out for a walk everyday. We usually go for a stroll along the seafront or to the nearby woodlands for a run around...
Getting some fresh air helps me relax, refreshes me mentally, and usually has the added bonus of some light exercise thrown in too.
9. Experiment in the kitchen to stop you getting bored of food. Not that I could ever get bored of food or eating (!!) but I do love trying new recipes. My favourite sources of inspiration are BBC Good Food website and Mama Pea's blog. Her quinoa stuffed peppers, quinoa pizza casserole and sloppy joesphines are my current favourites, but I must try some more of her recipes soon! Of course there are many other blogs that provide me with great recipes - I have a list on my iPhone of links to recipes I want to try, but Mama Pea is the one I go back to time and time again!
10. Find some time for you. This one can be hard for me with the children, but we are lucky that they are usually in bed by 7pm so Liam and I get the evenings to ourselves. Writing this blog is one of my forms of "me-time" (well, usually, I'm currently finishing off this post while baby runs around in his nappy finding lots of toys to mess up the house with!!). I also enjoy going swimming to have some time alone with my thoughts, when I can motivate myself to go that is anyway! And cooking...cooking provides great me-time...I can shut the kitchen door, have fun making new-to-me recipes, and have something yummy to eat at the end of it!!
Well there we go, I did manage to get to 10 tips after all! Probably in a bit of a random order, my thoughts are all over the place at the moment, but hopeful they will help to reinforce what you already know, or at least give you some insight into the world-of-me! What are your tips for a healthy happy lifestyle?? I'd love to hear them! :) Thanks again for tagging me, Rachel, writing this post was fun!