Saturday 23 April 2011

Carrot Cake Smoothie for Two

This morning daughter wanted to have the same breakfast as me. Preferably something in a bowl that she could "decorate" herself. It's too hot for porridge (well, unless I'm feeling tired & in need of extra comfort!) so smoothie in a bowl it was! Chocolate Covered Katie recently made Carrot Cake Milkshake, and whilst my recipe isn't anything like hers, I think her recent carrot cake theme might have lodged the idea in my brain! Plus the fact the we had some sad looking carrots that needed using...


I cooked the carrots quickly (in the microwave with a little water and clingfilm for 3 minutes) and then chucked as many things as possible that remind me of carrot cake into the blender!

Cooked carrots, frozen pineapple and a few dates for sweetness

Here's the more exact ingredients in case you want to recreate it!

Carrot Cake Smoothie
(makes 2 big bowls)

  • 250g peeled carrots, lightly cooked
  • 1 large banana
  • 150g pineapple, frozen
  • 4 dates (or more/less depending on how sweet you like it - this didn't make it too sweet, just balanced the flavours)
  • 25g oats
  • 200ml milk
All into the blender...


And then it was time for toppings! Again, carrying on the carrot cake theme, we used coconut, raisins and pecans (would've been walnuts but we were all out). Daughter, of course, decorated her own...


Guess which is which?! Annoyingly I didn't take a photo of daughter's bowl on it's own, but hers is on the right - I did mine first so I think she got the general template from me, but apparently on hers the coconut is a nest, the 2 pecans in the middle are the Mummy & Daddy, the raisins are all the little chicks, the orange smoothie is sunshine and the other pecans are clouds! Bless. Here's my more standard version...


This was really tasty! It had a lovely thick texture and I loved the colour! The only slightly disappointing thing was that you couldn't really taste the carrots - the pineapple was a bit of an overpowering flavour, but the smoothie as a whole was delicious nonetheless :) The toppings went really well too, yum!

Lovely day here, although I'll be spending quite a lot of it inside - got to go food shopping this morning, and then I have lots of baking to do this afternoon in preparation for tomorrow. Might get time to go meet a friend for coffee later as well though. Have a great day everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Yum that sounds so good! I ordered some carrots with a view to making carrot cake (I think it was a loaf I was on oh she glows) so if I have some left I could try this! Yay.
    PS the explanation for the decorations is just so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum--this looks fantastic. And what a great way to get some veggies for breakfast! I may have to try this soon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...