Sunday 24 April 2011

Lots & Lots of Food!!

Evening! Hope you've all been enjoying Easter Sunday! I have eaten soooo much food today! After a big breakfast at the beach hut this morning, we went to Mum's house for a buffet lunch. We were trying out food that we had originally thought we'd have at the wedding, and in that respect the buffet wasn't successful - the portion sizes were not enough for the money, the vegetarian option wasn't impressive enough etc - so we will have to go back to the drawing board with regards to wedding food, eek! However the food itself was really delicious. I had decided that, despite not having eaten meat or fish since a meal out two months ago, I would try a little bit of the salmon...


there was also coronation chicken and ham which I didn't eat, as well as a rather ugly looking, but delicious tasting butternut squash "terrine"...


this was really tasty - it had butternut squash, lentils and other stuff (!) in it (I can't remember!!) and was great spread on bread. However it doesn't really look good enough to be the vegetarian option compared to poached salmon, ham, coronation chicken etc - I'd be a bit insulted if I was only given salads and a hunk of pate to eat! Will have to re-think. Some of Mum's friends have offered to make quiches so may go down that route, we'll see.

The above food was all from M&S, then we supplemented it with some salads from Waitrose...


some kind of bean salad (I avoided), roast veg couscous, coleslaw & pasta salad, plus lettuce, tomatoes, bread etc. All together...


and this was my plate (I gave the prawn to daughter as she loves them way more than I do!)...


I went back for seconds of the butternut squash pate, bread, coleslaw and couscous, yum.

Of course, the thing I was most looking forward to was the cakes...


I'd made the lemon poppy seed muffins with a lemon glaze between breakfast and lunch today...


again from the Muffins Fast and Fantastic book by Susan Reimer that I linked to yesterday. The creme egg cupcakes were an idea from My Baking Addiction and turned out really well - my icing normally lets my cakes down but I was quite impressed with these so excuse the excessive amount of photos!!




the moment of truth though came when I cut one open at Mum's...


and I'm pleased to report they were a success - the mini creme egg was still whole inside - freezing them before cooking worked!! :)


Yum, these tasted delicious too! I'm not normally a huge fan of chocolate cakes as they can be a bit dry, but between the creme egg inside and the huge amount of icing on top, these were really good!

I also ate a lemon poppy seed muffin...


these were good too, the muffins themselves weren't actually that lemony but the fresh lemon juice icing more than made up for that!

I have felt so full since lunch! I have managed to squeeze a couple of things in though - a mini chocolate flake...


and a Total Greek yoghurt pot with honey...


bizarre though, when I ate one of these 6 weeks ago, the honey was set (I even went back to an old blog post to check the photo here!!) but this time the honey was clear. I preferred the set one :( so think I'll be sticking to adding my own honey into plain Greek yoghurt in future!

I really should have something else to eat otherwise I'll be hungry in the middle of the night, but at the moment I still feel so full and bloated...way too many bread/cake products have been consumed by me today! Worth it as a one-off day, but definitely looking forward to having a smoothie for breakfast tomorrow! :) Hope everyone else has enjoyed the day too, I also managed to fit in a bit of sitting in my Mum's back garden after lunch - loving this sunshine!

4 comments:

  1. Your cakes look so beautiful
    :)
    The veggie options can be ropey when eating out, but I tend not to mind so long as there is one (unlike my BA flight which was a ham and cheese roll. Hmm)- although I find more and more I prefer to eat at home as oppose to eating out because I give myself nicer options!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) I am overly proud of those cakes...think I'm just relieved they turned out as I was hoping!

    Can you think of any good veggie options for a cold buffet at our wedding?? I can think of loads of hot things that I like, but struggling to think of cold things that look and taste good!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cupcakes look so cute! I bet they were delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...