Wednesday 20 April 2011

Comforting Cocoa Porridge

When I went to bed last night, I'd planned to wake up in the morning and have a refreshing green smoothie for breakfast. However, turns out that when I went to bed was actually 3-4 hours before I finally managed to fall asleep (yawn) so all I fancied when I woke up was a big bowl of porridge...


Comforting Cocoa Porridge:
  • 40g oats
  • 20g cocoa powder
  • 1 banana, thinly sliced (mine was about 75g after baby stole some)
  • 90g frozen blueberries (to feel like I was at least trying to nourish my body!!)
  • 220ml milk
  • some form of sweetener, to taste (I stirred in 25g maple syrup after cooking - my body always craves sweet things when I'm feeling lousy)
  • Topped with 30g crunchy peanut butter
Mix all the ingredients, except the maple syrup and peanut butter, together and cook as usual (I use the microwave to make washing up easier). Sweeten to taste and top with a big blob of peanut butter. Enjoy!


This was perfect, just what I needed. I was a bit worried it would be overly sweet (I'd accidentally tipped in more maple syrup than intended!!), but it was just right. The peanut butter went all melty, and I loved the bites of blueberry in each mouthful, providing a juicy contrast to the rich cocoa. Yum!


Now I've just got to work out how to get through the rest of the day with 2 irritable children, on only 5 hours sleep. Coffee may be in my very near future!!

2 comments:

  1. That looks so yummy, and I love the banner at the top of your blog with all the yummy food :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) Liam designed the blog header for me, much better than the previous standard text!! Think the "Porridge and Parsnips" needs to be a bit bigger though, but that can wait til after he's finished his dissertation!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...